Treating folks, like you, who move for a living and love to move
Author: Richard SymisterPSORIATIC ARTHRITIS AND THE ATHLETIC SHOULDER: SKIN AND JOINT PAIN
Psoriatic arthritis (PA) is a form of arthritis affecting some people with psoriasis ( a disease characterized by red, itchy, inflamed skin). PA causes inflammation in your joints because your immune system is overactive. (Sometimes doctors misdiagnose it as GOUT, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, or OSTEOARTHRITIS.)
– Joint pain, swelling, or stiffness in one or more joints
– red patches of skin topped with silvery scales
– “Sausage-like” swelling in your fingers and toes
– Pain in and around your feet and ankles
– Thick, red, scaly patches on your skin
SIGNIFICANCE TO THE ATHLETE
“Hot spots” across your skin and shoulder joint pain can significantly restrict natural shoulder movement and lead to negative compensatory patterns. In simpler terms, because of skin or joint pain, you no longer use your shoulder efficiently, naturally, or safely.
Treatment for PA depends on how severe your condition is and what areas of your body are affected. The goals of treatment at MovEvolution Physical and PerformanceTherapy are to reduce joint pain and swelling, control, slow down and prevent further shoulder joint damage and restore natural movement and strength via:
– manual therapy/bodywork
– teaching proper rest for healing and recovery
– teaching sports-specific exercises to encourage natural joint movement
– using modalities (heat/ice) to reduce pain
Has PA crept into your should joint? Need some shoulder pain and mobility help? SCHEDULE HERE. We love shoulders at MovEvolution Physical and Performance Therapy!
heal. move. push…pull…lift…punch…climb…row…serve…throw…swing…Evolve.
1. http://ow.ly/rh4J3050b3V Explain Pain (Butler, Mosely)
5. https://medlineplus.gov/psoriaticarthritis.html http://ow.ly/i/nNLLz